Monday, April 18, 2011

Alissa's Benefit turnout

Yesterday was the benefit for my SIL Alissa at the Hog Creek Icehouse. For those of you who are local, you know the place is big. And when I got there, I couldn't even walk in the door. It was PACKED!! I'm really at a loss of what all to say about it b/c it was just so overwhelming the amount of love that went into it. There were SOOO many items for auction from candles, to furniture, to autographed memorabilia. And then there were shirts being sold (which they didn't have my size so I didn't get one) and there were drawings for 3 guns. Hey, it's a small town-we give away guns around here. LOL! Derek won a Rifle, but gave it back to be auctioned off, and it brought in $1250! And the big tickets raffle was for a guided Nilgai hunt. Don't ask me what that is though. There were amazing singers who entertained everyone. And so many familiar faces that really melted the entire families' heart to see. Alissa did pretty well and was sooo happy to see everyone. She managed to stay for the majority of the time.Her whole softball team even packed up and made the drive to come support her. Her team and another softball team(Howard Payne University) had shirts made for her and they were all sporting them. Along with the bracelets made for her as well. I think a lot of burgers were sold, but I know they missed out a lot on burger sales b/c they were so backed up. The wait to eat was 1 1/2 hrs!!! And leave it to me to not take a single picture. I was hoping there was one photographer there that would take pictures for the family, but I think that was the last thing anyone was worrying about. I did see the newpaper photographer there, so I can't wait to get the paper on Thursday & see what it has in it! So far, the total raised from the benefit & all the items sold at the benefit equal around $25,000! Un.Be.Lievable! To give you an idea of what it will go to, her medical bill within the first month of being in the hospital was already about $100,000. The money raised yesterday will probably help pay for her therapy, as insurance does not cover that. She will have to go through extensive therapy to get her brain working correctly before she starts school again. We did find out that the guy who's cow she hit, only has insurance for $100,000 and it's obvious that her bills exceed that! Although there's some criticism on her getting a new truck, her insurance did pay for that, so every bit of the benefit money will help for the medical expenses in such a great way!! Here she is posing w/her new truck. That thing is so big, no cow will go through her window again!!

Right now, she has a scheduled surgery planned for next Tuesday the 26th. Her eyes, nose, hole in her forehead, and some scars were all supposed to be fixed in this surgery. Unfortunately, it looks like her eyes will not be. Her right eye still won't open all the way & it sticks out kind of. She can see only a little bit out of it. Her left eye is sunken in b/c all the bones around it are broken. So in order to fix the left eye, there's a high chance of her losing vision leaving her w/the crappy vision in her right eye. They don't want to take the chance. So without the eye surgery, everything else is considered cosmetic. And leave it to health insurance to try and get out of paying for it! Her nose is crushed and she has a hole in her forehead! It needs to be fixed. Please pray that she can have her surgery. It will be one of the last & I know she needs it!



Anyways, I'm just so happy the benefit went well & people are so amazing and generous! Derek's family did not want any money given to them and not once have asked for help or money. People just want to do the right thing and give what they can anyway. Amazing!

6 comments:

Paige said...

I have chills just thinking about how overwhelming and wonderful it would be to see all of the love and people who came to her benefit. What an amazing little town y'all live in =)

Lauren said...

This is SO awesome! The kindness and generosity of others is amazing!!!!! :)

lots of love said...

That's so great yall had a good turnout! I wish we'd lived closer & could go. I hope she's able to have the surgeries she needs without struggle!

Elisabeth said...

So happy you had such a great turnout. We'll be praying that Alissa's insurance sees the light and will pay for her surgery.

The Pifer's said...

That is so amazing!!!! I am amazed at the turnout, thats wonderful!!! Love you sweetie, and still saying prayers!!!

~Shelly~ said...

WOW $25,000!? Amazing! I love her new truck too- its pretty! Id be gettin me a big ol truck too if I just had a bull come through my windshield! Good for her.