Thursday, May 7, 2009

Nasty Thieves

Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed that my neighbor across the street had a Sheriff at his house. I'm not a nosy neighbor, so I just went inside. Well, my neighbor came to my door to inform me that his house had been broken into during the day & they went through his back door stealing several expensive items.
Let me backtrack....When Derek & I bought our home, we thought we lived on a nice quiet street, mostly older people & never worried about locking our car doors or even our house sometimes. The city has since boomed bringing several new homes which attract thieves.
Last year, a kid broke into my truck almost every day for 2 months. It was obviously a kid b/c we were setting traps only a dumb kid would fall for. He was soon caught and put in juvie. Then ab0ut a month ago, I was mowing my back lawn on a Friday afternoon(brood daylight) and noticed a van back into my backdoor neightbors yard. They looked right at me as I watched 3 men walk around, grab my neightbor's 4-wheeler and place it in the back of the van. The dog didn't bark, and they didn't seem scared. I could only assume that it was my neighbor's son picking up his 4-wheeler. Heck, they had only had it a week and they are older so I honestly didn't think it was their's. Obviously I was wrong and became a witness & part of the investigation. It was a mess. They still haven't gotten their brand new $10,000 4-wheeler back.
Now, with all that said, it makes me worried a little. We have exchanged #'s and spoken w/all our neightbors but I live out there basically by myself 75% of the time. I am lucky to have 2 large dogs who appear really mean. By "appear" one is a pitbull & wouldn't hurt a fly. The other is Australian Sheppard & is very mean but the second someone walks into the back yard, they are her best friend.
So now, thanks to my pesky new neighborhood thieves, I don't feel safe in my own home.
Should I look into getting an alarm system? We have a hidden key to the back door but it's not hidden really. I don't know where else to put it. Anyways, just wanted to rant :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I would get an alarm system so you arent ever in any danger you can set it while you are in the house alone.

The Pifer's said...

UGH, I hate thieves!!!!!!!!! I've heard of alot of people that get those alarm system signs (the signs that you can put in your yard IF you do have an alarm to warn people) anyways, they just put those signs in there yard and it makes thieves think you do have an alarm which in return makes them 2nd guess breaking into your house, it's a cheap fix until you are able to get an actual alarm! Hide your key in a very ODD place! I'll brain storm on that one for you :) AND if your ever scared and D's out of town CALL ME! :) Love you hun!!!!!

Ashley said...

I can't stand ppl. that steal and then to do it right in front of you!!! WOW...SOME PPL. HAVE SOME NERVE!!

Amber said...

Wow how scary we are in a neighborhood that we leave our doors and all unlocked but scary to think you are safe when you arent. I would say definitely get an alarm if you dont feel safe but the alarm sign is a good idea too.